In CERMIT, we suggest a concept and a system to support co-located and remote actors in organizational Emergency Response Management (ERM) training and work practice.
Central issues in Emergency Response Management (ERM) are collaborative processes, information-flow, -sharing, and -prioritization. For ERM personnel, the processes of reaching common ground, a common operational picture (COP), and a common understanding of the emergency situation are of key importance. In CERMIT, we suggest a concept and a system to support co-located and remote actors in organizational ERM training and work practice. Our concept revolves around a shared geographical representation of the emergency situation. Each involved actor can contribute data to the representation to create a common operational picture. Relevant data ranges from field unit reports to headquarters commands. The goal of this project is to create a tool to better support information loops and situation awareness among ERM actors. Our prototypical system consists of a multi-user tabletop interface and mobile devices. The tabletop interface is based on the tracking of light pens. Changes made on the tabletop interface are reflected on the mobiles devices and vice versa, realizing information loops among involved actors.
Publications or Reports
- T. Piazza, S. Zhao, R. Gonzalo, A.E. Yantaç, and M. Fjeld. 2013. Dynamic Duo: Phone-Tablet Interaction on Tabletops. CHI 2013 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI EA 2013). New York, NY, USA, PP. 2803-2804.
- S. Chen, M. Chen, A. Kunz, A.E. Yantaç, M. Bergmark, A. Sundin, and M. Fjeld. 2013. SEMarbeta: Mobile Sketch-Gesture-Video Remote Support for Car Drivers. Proceedings of the 4th Augmented Human International Conference (AH '13). New York, NY, USA, PP. 69-76.
- A. Alavi, B. Clocher, A. Smith, A. Kunz, and M. Fjeld . 2011. Multi-state Device Tracking for Tangible Tabletops. SIGRAD Swedish Chapter of Eurographics, Stockholm, Sweden, PP. 99-103.
- A. Alavi, A. Kunz, M. Sugimoto, and M. Fjeld. 2011. Dual Mode IR Position and State Transfer for Tangible Tabletops. Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces (ITS 2011). Kobe, Japan, PP. 278-279.
- T. Piazza, H. Heller, and M. Fjeld. 2009. CERMIT: Co-located and Remote Collaborative System for Emergency Response Management. SIGRAD 2009. 8 Pages .
- H. Heller, T. Piazza, and M. Fjeld. 2008. CERMIT: Collaborative Training Technology for Emergency Response Management. Shareable Interfaces for Learning Workshop. PP. 1-2.