Researcher / Lecturer
Dr. Mohammad Obaid is currently a researcher at the Department of Information Technology at Uppsala University. He is also an affiliated researcher with the t2i Lab at the Chalmers University of Technology. Dr. Obaid is one of the founders of the Applied Robotics Group at the Interaction Design Division at Chalmers, which was established in late 2015.
In April 2007, he gained his MSc. degrees from the Computer Science and Software Engineering Department, at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand, in which he gained First Class Honours. In August 2011, he gained his PhD. degree in Computer Science and Software Engineering from the University of Canterbury, New Zealand. He started his career with a postdoctoral fellowship at both the Human Centered Multimedia Lab (Augsburg, Germany) and the Human Interface Technology Lab New Zealand (2011-2014).
He collaborated and worked at several international research institutes including CNRS at LTCI, Telecom ParisTech (Paris, France), Australian National University (Canberra, Australia), Institute for Computer Graphics and Vision at the Graz University of Technology (Graz, Austria), NUS-HCI Lab (Singapore), and the Digital Media department at the Upper Austria University of Applied Sciences (Hagenberg, Austria). His research interests fall in the areas of Human-Computer Interaction and Human-Robot Interaction.
In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer, travelling, hiking, volunteer work, sketching/drawing, and socialising.
Human-Computer Interaction, Human-Robot Interaction, Computer Graphics, Image Processing, Virtual Characters, Non-Photorealistic Rendering, and Affective Computing.
Studies to Design for Human-Agent Interaction, Department of Computer Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey, March 2016.
Designing for Human-Agent Interaction, School of Computing and Mathematics, University of Western Sydney, Sydney, Australia, November 2015.
Steps towards understanding the users’ interactions with humanoid agents, Computing and Information Science (Seminar), Masdar Institute, Abu Dhabi, UAE, March 2015.
Understanding the future of Human-Agent Interactions, Computer Science Department (Seminar), National University of Singapore, Singapore, October 2014.
May 2014, Gothenburg Science Fest, Gothenburg, Sweden.
June 2013, at the Perception and Action in Virtual Environments group at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tuebingen, Germany.
August 2012, at the Cognitive Systems, Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, University of Bremen, Germany.
September 2011, at the Institute for Computer Graphics and Algorithms, Technical University of Vienna, Austria.
June 2010, at the Human Centered Multimedia Laboratory, University of Augsburg, Germany.
June 2010, at the Computer Aided Medical Procedures and Augmented Reality, Technical University of Munich, Germany.
September 2009, CNRS, TelecomParis, Paris, France.
March 2009, at the Human Centered Computing Laboratory, University of Canberra, Australia.
- R. Andersson, J. Berglund, A. Coşkun, M. Fjeld, M. Obaid. 2017. Gestural Interactions for Large Touch Displays. Gestural Interactions for Large Touch Displays. 16 Pages .
- Tomasz Kosiński, Mohammad Obaid, Paweł Woźniak, Morten Fjeld, Jacek Kucharski. 2016. A Fuzzy Data-Based Model for Human-Robot Proxemics. Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN), 2016 25th IEEE International Symposium on. PP. 335-340.
- Chen Chen, Pawel Wozniak, Andrzej Romanowski, Mohammad Obaid, Tomasz Jaworski, Jacek Kucharski, Krzysztof Grudzien, Shendong Zhao, and Morten Fjeld. 2016. Using Crowdsourcing for Scientific Analysis of Industrial Tomographic Images. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST) - Special Issue on Crowd in Intelligent Systems. New York, NY, USA, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technologies, Vol. 7, no. 4, PP. 52:1--52:25.
- Marta G. Carcedo, Soon Hau Chua, Simon Perrault, Paweł Woźniak, Raj Joshi, Mohammad Obaid, Morten Fjeld, Shengdong Zhao. 2016. HaptiColor: Interpolating color information as haptic feedback to assist the color blind. In Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI'16). New York, NY, USA, PP. 3572-3583.
- Sandoval, EduardoBenítez and Brandstetter, Jürgen and Obaid, Mohammad and Bartneck, Christoph. 2015. Reciprocity in Human-Robot Interaction: A Quantitative Approach Through the Prisoner’s Dilemma and the Ultimatum Game. International Journal of Social Robotics, PP. 1-15.
- Omar Mubin, Mohammad Obaid, Wolmet Barendregt, Simeon Simoff, and Morten Fjeld. 2015. Science Fiction and the Reality of HCI. Inspirations, Achievements or a Mismatch. In Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Australian Special Interest Group for Computer Human Interaction (OzCHI '15). New York, NY, USA, ACM, PP. 670-672.
- Mohammad Obaid, Wolmet Barendregt, Patrícia Alves-Oliveira, Anna Paiva, and Morten Fjeld. 2015. Designing Robotic Teaching Assistants: Interaction Design Students' and Children's Views’. (Accepted) In the proceedings of the International Conference on Social Robotic (ICSR 2015). Paris, France, 10 Pages .
- Omar Mubin, Mohammad Obaid, Eduardo Sandoval, Morten Fjeld. 2015. Using Video Preferences to Understand the Human Perception of Real and Fictional Robots. (Accepted) In Proceeding of the Third International Conference on Human-Agent Interaction (HAI 2015). ACM, Daegu, Republic of Korea, 7 Pages .
- Mohammad obaid, Omar Mubin, Christina Anne Basedow, A. Ayça Ünlüer, Matz Johansson Bergström, and Morten Fjeld. 2015. A Drone Agent to Support a Clean Environment. (Accepted) In Proceeding of the Third International Conference on Human-Agent Interaction (HAI 2015). Daegu, Republic of Korea, ACM, 7 Pages .
- Mohammad Obaid, Andreas Duenser, Elena Motchanova, Daniella Cummings, Johannes Wagner, and Christoph Bartneck. 2015. LEGO Pictorial Scales for Assessing Affective Responses. (Accepted) In the Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, 14-18th September. INTERACT (2015), Bamberg, Germany.
- Paweł Woźniak, Kristina Knaving, Mohammad Obaid, Marta Gonzalez Carcedo, Ayça Ünlüer, and Morten Fjeld. 2015. ChromaGlove: a wearable haptic feedback device for colour recognition. In the proceedings of the 6th Augmented Human International Conference. ACM, PP. 219-220.
- Eduardo Benitez Sandoval, Omar Mubin, and Mohammad Obaid. 2014. Human Robot Interaction and Fiction: A Contradiction. Social Robotics (Lecture Notes in Computer Science). Vol. 8755, PP. 54-63.
- Andreas Duenser, Daniel Abramovici, Mohammad Obaid and Martin Lochner. 2014. Towards Reactive Augmented Reality Exposure Treatment. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth '14). ICST, Brussels, Belgium, Belgium, PP. 362-365.
- Sofia Serholt, Christina Basedow, Wolmet Barendregt, Mohammad Obaid. 2014. Comparing a Humanoid Tutor to a Human Tutor Delivering an Instructional Task to Children. 2014 IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots.
- Benjamin Schmidt, Paweł Woźniak, Kristina Knaving, Chen Chen, Mohammad Obaid. 2014. ParkPal: Towards Ad-Hoc Route Planning for Runners. 2nd International Workshop on Cultures of Participation in the Digital Age (COPD@ 2014).
- Mohammad Obaid, Felix Kistler, Markus Häring, René Bühling, and Elisabeth André. 2014. A Framework to User-Defined Body Gestures for Navigational Control of a Humanoid Robot. International Journal of Social Robotics, PP. 1-14.
- Mohammad Obaid, Dieta Kuchenbrandt, and Christoph Bartneck. 2014. Empathy and Yawn Contagion: Can We (Humans) Catch Yawns from Robots?. Proceedings of the 2014 ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-robot Interaction (HRI 2014). New York, NY, USA, PP. 260-161.
- Ghadeer Eresha, Markus Häring, Birgit Endrass, Elisabeth André, and Mohammad Obaid. 2013. Investigating the Influence of Culture on Proxemic Behavior for Humanoid Robots. In Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE RO- MAN: The 22nd IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (.). Gyeongju, Korea, August 26-29, PP. 430-435.
- Ionut Damian, Mohammad Obaid, Felix Kistler, and Elisabeth Andr. 2013. Augmented reality using a 3D motion capturing suit. In Pro- ceedings of the 4th Augmented Human International Conference (AH ’13). New York, NY, USA, PP. 233-234.
- Christoph Bartneck, Mohammad Obaid, and Karolina Zawieska . 2013. Agents with faces What can we learn from LEGO Minfigures. In Pro- ceedings of the 1st International Conference on Human-Agent Inter- action (iHAI13). Sapporo, Japan, August 7-9.
- Ionut Damian, Felix Kistler, Mohammad Obaid, Rene Bueling, Mark Billinghurst, and Elisabeth Andr. 2013. Motion Capturing Empowered Inter- action with a Virtual Agent in an Augmented Reality Environment. In proceedings of the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2013. Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR). 1 - 4 October 2013, Adelaide, SA, PP. 1-6.
- Mohammad Obaid, Markus Häring, Felix Kistler, René Bühling, and Elisabeth André. 2012. User-Defined Body Gestures for Navigational Control of a Humanoid Robot. In Proceedings of the Fourth international conference on Social Robotics (ICSR 2012). 2012, October 29-31, Chengdu, China, Vol. 7621, PP. 367- 377.
- Mohammad Obaid, Ionut Damian, Felix Kistler, Birgit Endrass, Johannes Wagner, and Elisabeth André. 2012. Cultural behaviors of virtual agents in an augmented reality environment. In Proceedings of the 12th international conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents (IVA 2012), Yukiko Nakano, Michael Neff, Ana Paiva, and Marilyn Walker (Eds.). 2012, September 12-14, Santa Cruz, California, PP. 412-418.
- Mohammad Obaid, Ekaterina Kurdyukova, and Elisabeth André. 2012. City Pulse: Supporting Going-Out Activities with a Context-Aware Urban Display. In Proceedings of Advances in Computer Entertainment (ACE 2012). 2012, November 3-5, Kathmandu, Nepal., PP. 529-532.
- Ekaterina Kurdyukova, Mohammad Obaid, and Elisabeth André. 2012. Direct, bodily or mobile interaction?: comparing interaction techniques for personalized public displays. In Proceedings of the 11th Interna- tional Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM 2012). PP. 44:1-44:9.
- Ren Bhling, Mohammad Obaid, Stephan Hammer, and Elisabeth André. 2012. Mobile augmented reality and adaptive art: a game-based motivation for energy saving. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM 2012). New York, NY, USA, PP. 50:1-50:2.
- Mohammad Obaid, Radosaw Niewiadomski, and Catherine Pelachaud. 2011. Perception of spatial relations and of coexistence with virtual agent. In Proceedings of the 10th international conference on Intelli- gent virtual agents (IVA 2011), Hannes Hgni Vilhjlmsson, Stefan Kopp, Stacy Marsella, and Kristinn R. Thrisson (Eds.). September 15 – 17, 2011, Reykjavik, Iceland, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, PP. 363-369.
- Radosaw Niewiadomski, Mohammad Obaid, Elisabetta Bevacqua, Julian Looser, Le Quoc Anh, and Catherine Pelachaud. 2011. Cross- media agent platform. In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on 3D Web Technology (Web3D ’11). June 20 – 22, 2011, Paris, France, PP. 11-19.
- Mohammad Obaid, Ramakrishnan Mukundan, Mark Billinghurst, and Catherine Pelachaud. 2010. Expressive MPEG-4 Facial Animation using Quadratic Deformation Models. In Proceedings of the Seventh Interna- tional Conference on Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization (CGIV 2010). August 9 – 11, 2010, Sydney, Australia, PP. 9-14.
- Mohammad Obaid, Ramakrishnan Mukundan, and Mark Billinghurst. 2010. Generating and Rendering Expressive Caricatures. In Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (ACM SIGGRAPH 2010). July 25-29, 2010, Los Angeles, USA, 1 Pages .
- Mohammad Obaid, Ramakrishnan Mukundan, and Mark Billinghurst. 2010. Rendering and Animating Expressive Caricatures. In Proceedings of the Third IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (IEEE ICCSIT 2010). .July 9-11, 2010, Chengdu, China, Vol. 4, PP. 401-406.
- Mohammad Obaid, Ramakrishnan Mukundan, Roland Goecke, Mark Billinghurst, and Hartmut Seichter. 2009. A Quadratic Deformation Model for Facial Expression Recognition. Digital Image Computing and Ap- plications (DICTA 2009). December 1-3, 2009, Melbourne, Australia, PP. 264-270.
- Chiang Tay, Mohammad Obaid, Ramakrishnan Mukundan, and Andrew Bainbridge-Smith. 2009. Facial Expressions using a Quadratic Deformation Model: Analysis and Synthesis. Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ 2009). Nov 23-25, 2009, Wellington, New Zealand, PP. 50-55.
- Mohammad Obaid, Daniel Lond, Ramakrishnan Mukundan, and Mark Billinghurst. 2009. Facial Caricature Generation using a Quadratic Defor- mation Model. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology (ACE 2009). October 29-31, 2009, Athens, Greece, PP. 285-288.
- ohammad Obaid, Ramakrishnan Mukundan, Mark Billinghurst, and Mark Sagar. 2009. Facial Expression Representation using a Quadratic Deformation Model. In Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization (CGIV 2009). August 11 – 14, 2009, Tianjin, China, PP. 44-49.
- Mohammad Obaid, Charles Han, and Mark Billinghurst. 2008. “Feed The Fish”: An Affect-Aware Game. In Proceedings of the 5th Australasian Conference on Interactive Entertainment (IE 2008). December 3-4, 2008, Brisbane, Australia, 6 Pages .
- Mohammad Obaid, Ramakrishnan Mukundan, and Tim Bell. 2006. En- hancement of Moment Based Painterly Rendering Using Connected Components. En- hancement of Moment Based Painterly Rendering Using Connected Components, Imaging and Visualization (CGIV 2006). July 2006, Sydney, Australia, PP. 378-383.